The State, Nationalism and Pan-Slavism in the “Age of Metternich” (1815–1848) – The case of the Serbs of Pest and Buda
Research Area 1: Displacements, “Dépaysement” and Discrepencies: People, Knowledge and Practices
My research is focused on the interrelation between the ideas of Pan-Slavism and Nationalism, within the Serbian cultural circle in Pest-Buda, in the first half of the nineteenth century. I chose this specific Serbian community as a case study, due to their central importance for the Serbian “national awakening” in the aforementioned period. What made this community special was its access to the printing press of the Buda University, which made its members the leaders in the knowledge production and distribution among all the Serbs living in East-Central Europe. Moreover, they had close connections with the Pan-Slavic movement of this time and, above all, with its main protagonists, like Ján Kollár and Pavel Jozef Šafárik. Through my research I intend to show not only the interrelation between the two ideologies (Pan-Slavism and Romantic nationalism), but also how they were adapted and transformed in the Serbian context.
- 2017–: PH.D. candidate in Historical Sciences, Atelier Interdisciplinary Doctoral Program in History, Faculty of Humanities, Eötvös Loránd University
- 2015–2017: M.A in Social Development, Faculty of Humanities, Eötvös Loránd University, Faculty of Arts, Charles University
- 2013–2014: M.A. in History, Faculty of Philosophy, University of Belgrade
- 2009–2013: B.A. in History, Faculty of Philosophy, University of Belgrade
Awards and Grants
- 2017–2021: Stipendium Hungaricum Ph.D. scholarship recipient
- 2016–2018: Stipend recipient of the “Fund for Youth Talent of the Republic of Serbia for the Students Abroad”
- 2014: An award of the Fond of Prof Dr. Radmila Milentijević (City College of New York, USA) and the University of Belgrade for one of the two best BA theses in the field of Serbian and/or Russian History.
- 2014: Stipend recipient “Fund for Youth Talent of the Republic of Serbia for the Students in Serbia” (2014)
- “Travelling through the “Forgotten” Past: The Journeys of Pavle Stamatović.” In Voyages and Travel Accounts in Historiography and Literature, vol. 2, ed. Boris Stojkovski, 99–129. Budapest: Trivent Publishing, 2020. (DOI:10.22618/TP.HMWR.2020VTA2.289.006)
- “Herder’s Ideas and the Pan-Slavism: A Conceptual-Historical Approach.” Pro&Contra 2 (2018): 67–85. (DOI:10.33033/pc.2018.2.67)