Export of cultural property from Ukraine before and during the full-scale Russian invasion: analysis of the legislative framework, practices of expertise of cultural property, and issues regarding evacuation abroad.
Research Area 1. Displacements, “Dépaysements” and Discrepancies: People, Knowledge and Practices
Dmytro Yanov is a senior scientific fellow at the sector of numismatics, Odesa archaeological museum, National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine. He specializes in numismatics of Ottoman Empire and other Medieval Islamic States, history of currency circulation in Ukraine in the 14th – 17th centuries. He is also interested in digitalization of the museum objects.
He has an experience in conducting expertise of coins and other antiquities in cases of attempts to export them abroad, as an employee of the Odesa Archaeological Museum, as well as a certified forensic expert. As an associate researcher of CEFRES, he works on the project Export of cultural property from Ukraine before and during the full-scale Russian invasion: analysis of the legislative framework, practices of expertise of cultural property, and issues regarding evacuation abroad. The objectives of this project are following: determination of how the Russian invasion has intensified attempts to smuggle cultural property from Ukraine; study of current expert practice in cultural property examination; analysis of the legislative framework of Ukraine regarding the protection of cultural heritage and the displacement of cultural property; consideration of Ukrainian regulations regarding forensic expertise and expertise of cultural property in the context of the examination of antiquities and works of art.
With the beginning of the full-scale invasion of the Russian Federation into Ukraine, he was involved in preservation of collections of the Odesa archaeological museum, along with other museum employees. This work included physical verification of the museum objects, their photographing, packaging according to evacuation requirements and preparing the necessary paperwork.
- 2019: PhD, Historical Faculty, Odesa I.I. Mechnikov National University, PhD thesis title: Circulation of coins of the Ottoman Empire in the Carpathian-Dniester area (1381-1691).
- 2015: Master’s degree in History, Historical Faculty, Odesa I.I. Mechnikov National University, Specialization: History.
- Since 2020: senior scientific fellow at the sector of numismatics of the Odesa archaeological museum of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine.
- 2020–2022: forensic expert on art (part-time) at the Odesa Scientific Research Institute of Forensic Expertise of Ministry of Justice of Ukraine.
- 2015–2020: laboratory assistant (2015-2019), Junior scientific fellow (2019-2020) at the sector of numismatics of the Odesa archaeological museum of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine.
- Yanov D.M. Silver and gold Islamic coins from the collection of Bilhorod-Dnistrovskyi local lore museum. In: Ukrainian Archaeology. Selected papers from Ukrainian Journal Arkheolohiia. Kyiv 2016, pp. 75–80.
- Aleksanyan D., Yanov D. New data about the Ottoman minting in South Caucasian region in the end of 16th – beginning of 17th c. In: Journal of the Oriental Numismatic Society 230, 2017, pp. 21–29.
- Yanov D. Ottoman petty coinage in pre-Ottoman Belgorod, late 14th c. – 1484. In: Revista de Cercetări Arheologice şi Numismatice 3, 2017, pp. 345–379.
- Romankevich V., Yanov D. A 15th century deposit of Ottoman coins discovered in Crimea. In: Український нумізматичний щорічник 3, 2019, pp. 77–87.
- Aleksanyan D., Yanov D. Typology of the Ottoman coins minted in the Kingdom of K’akheti in the light of new findings. In: Arheologia Moldovei 43, 2020, pp. 83–99.
- Yanov D., Romankevich V. Two Ottoman seals from Izmail and its vicinity. In: International Journal of Turkology 7, 2020, pp. 16–20.
- Yanov D., Romankevich V. Coin findings from the surroundings of the town of Berestechko: evidence of 1651 battle. In: Arheologia Moldovei 44, 2021, pp. 103–122.
- Conference proceedings
- Boguslavsiy G., Yanov D. The Oriental coins of 13th – 18th c. from the latest findings of Belgorod-Tyra`s expedition. In: Al XV-lea Simpozion de numismatica. Programul si resumatele comunicarilor. Chisinau 2015, pp. 19–21.
- Yanov D. Ottoman copper coins of Mehmed II in the circulation of Belgorod. In: Al XVI-lea Simpozion de numismatica. Programul si resumatele comunicarilor. Chisinau 2016, pp. 38–40.
- Yanov D. The 16th-century coin deposit from the collection of Vylcove Local Lore Museum. In: Al XVII-lea Simpozion de numismatica. Programul si resumatele comunicarilor. Chisinau 2017, pp. 24–25.
- Yanov D. The late 16th century hoard discovered at the village of Kulevcha (preliminary conclusions). In: Al XVIII-lea simpozion de numismatică. Programul şi rezumatele comunicărilor. Chişinău 2019, pp. 23–25.