PhD Students Workshop organized by EHESS and CEFRES will be held on the theme of Humanities and Social Sciences Facing the Unexpected.
Supervisors: Michèle Baussant (CEFRES, CNRS), Falk Bretschneider (EHESS), Emmanuel Désveaux (EHESS), Jérôme Heurtaux (CEFRES), Pavel Himl (FHS UK), Claire Madl (CEFRES), Silvia Sebastiani (EHESS)
The sanitary crisis caused by the Covid-19 pandemic has thrown the whole world into deep uncertainty and radically shaken almost all our habits. This also applies to the research community. Lockdowns, travel restrictions, curfews, closures of libraries or archives and other measures of distance and protection have a direct and sometimes brutal impact on many scientific projects, especially those of many young researchers on fixed-term contracts. This context therefore leads us to question the ways in which humanities and social sciences can deal with uncertainty, the unexpected and the unforeseen, and this in two directions: read more about the workshop here.
9.30 a.m. – 11 a.m.
Introduction: Pavel Himl (FHS UK)
- Arthur Pérodeau (EHESS / UK, associated at CEFRES): Marc Bloch and His Book L’étrange défaite. A Historian Facing the Fall of France
- Tomáš Razím (FHS UK): Oral History in the Time of COVID
11.30 a.m. – 1 p.m.
Introduction: Emmanuel Désveaux (EHESS)
- Miroslav Sedláček (PRF UK): Are Humanities and Social Sciences Strong Enough to Deal with the Unexpected if They Are Overspecialized?
- Zuzana Terry (FHS UK): Facing Unexpected in School Ethnography
2 p.m. – 3.30 p.m.
Introduction: Silvia Sébastiani (EHESS)
- Maeva Carla Chargros (Palacký University, Olomouc): Rethinking Opportunities & Challenges within an International Context: Networking & Planning
- Elizaveta Getta (FF UK): Challenging Archival Research in Translation Studies
4 p.m. – 5.30 p.m.
Introduction: Michèle Baussant (CNRS, CEFRES)
- Rose Smith (FSV UK / University of Groningen): Wider Acknowledgement of Cyberspace as a Valid Milieu to Do Academic Work in as Well as a Valid Research Context
- Mert Koçak (CEU): Doing “Forced” Digital Ethnography on Forced Displacement: How Does Hyper Visibility/Accessibility of Digital Platforms Affect Ethnography?
6 – 7 p.m. General Discussion
With an intervention of:
- Felipe Kaiser Fernandes (EHESS / CEFRES)
- Tereza Havelková (FF UK)
- Igor Zavorotchenko (FHS UK)
- Ekatarina Zheltova (FSV UK / CEFRES)
To join the meeting: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/83259649736?pwd=RG95RzhyMFlLdjNhUXUzamQzSkhFZz09