Deadline for submission: 29 July 2021 (midnight)
Period: 1st January 2022—31st December 2023
Application Language: English
Address for submission: email@example.com (please copy the email to firstname.lastname@example.org)
Two post-doctoral researchers will be recruited from 1st January 2022 for two years at CEFRES. They will be both affiliated to CEFRES and to a relevant department for their research at Charles University. Both post-doctoral researchers will be recruited on the basis of the quality of their research project. The results will be published in October 2021.
1. CEFRES research areas
The first post-doctoral position is intended for researchers whose research project can be part of one of CEFRES’s three research areas:
Research area 1 – Displacements, “Depaysements” and Discrepancies: People, Knowledge and Practices
Research area 2 – Norms & Transgressions
Research area 3 – Objects, Traces, Mapping: Everyday Experience of Spaces
Research projects whose object is located in Central Europe, connected to this area and other areas or in comparison with other “cultural areas”, will be prioritised.
2. Research project: TANDEM program
A specific competition aims at recruiting a second post-doctoral researcher whose work covers the topic described below. The selected candidate will work in association with a researcher from the Czech Academy of Sciences (CAS) and a researcher assigned by the CNRS within the TANDEM program.
CEFRES is looking for a PhD holder to conduct research (qualitative case studies) and actively engage in networking (organizing seminars, workshops) and dissemination activites within the Tandem project “Home beyond species”. The focus of the project is on the theoretical and practical implications of acknowledging and studying more-than-human domesticity and the interplay of humans and non-humans related to the everyday practices, ideas as well as lay and scholarly concept of home.
The post-doctoral researcher is expected to have demonstrable experience with independent research (e.g. in the form of individually led research project, major publications, courses taught, etc.) in the relevant areas of social science, i.e. anthropology, social and cultural geography, sociology and/or related disciplines and/or studies.
Applicants may contact Mr. Petr Gibas before applying for any relevant questions on their application at petr.gibas[at]soc.cas.cz
Applicants must submit the complete application package consisting of the following elements:
The application form duly filled in: download here. The application form includes the description of the research project which must:
- specify the name of the TANDEM research project or the CEFRES research area you want to apply to and explain how your research befits it.
- include an explanation on the methodology and inputs of your own research, as well as a selected bibliography (max. 1 page-long)
- include expected outcomes (publications, conferences, and so forth).
- A letter of reference from the former PhD supervisor: download here. The letter must mention the title of the PhD, the date of defence etc.
- A detailed CV
- A list of publications
- A copy of the PhD diploma
Application packages must be submitted by 29 July 2021 electronically in an email entitled “YOUR LAST NAME_CEFRES-UK” at: email@example.com (send a copy to: firstname.lastname@example.org). Please send the application form in both PDF and as a Word-document. Applicants are welcome to contact the PIs of the research projects they apply to before sending their application.
- be high-level young researchers from abroad (non-Czech), who defended their PhD no more than 10 years prior to the application deadline in a university outside the Czech Republic
- conducting a research befitting one of the research projects described above (or CEFRES research areas)
- good command of English is mandatory
Framework of the Charles University (UK) and CEFRES co-financed post-doctoral position
As a partner of CEFRES Platform, Charles University recruits two high-quality post-doctoral research fellows who are non-Czech and you have defended their dissertation outside the Czech Republic. They will be assigned to CEFRES, within the frame of the Charles University’s International Post-Doc Research Fund. These two positions are renewable one-year fixed-term contracts and start on 1 January 2020 at CEFRES. The gross monthly salary is 32 000 CZK. UK-CEFRES post-doctoral researchers will be affiliated to both CEFRES and a relevant department of one of the faculties in social sciences and humanities of the Charles University according to their main discipline. They are expected to:
- contribute through their own research to the research project they apply to
- take part in the scientific life of CEFRES
- submit a yearly report on their research advances to the director of CEFRES
- come to live in Prague from 1 January 2022.
Calls for applications has been published on Charles University’s website. CEFRES will be amongst the hosting institutions of the University Post-Doc Research Fund.