CFA TANDEM CU–CNRS PROGRAM, 2024-2025
Charles University (CU), the Institute for Human and Social Sciences of the French National Research Center (InSHS CNRS) and the French Research Center in Humanities and Social Sciences in Prague (CEFRES) are launching the first call for applications for the TANDEM incubator program dedicated to researchers from CNRS and Charles University.
Since 2018, the TANDEM program endeavors excellency in social sciences and humanities by bringing together Czech and French colleagues to intensify scientific collaboration between our countries in the frame of European Research Area. The program is a joint initiative of CEFRES, InSHS CNRS, CU and the Czech Academy of Sciences (AV ČR) in the frame of the CEFRES Platform of scientific collaborations. Its former members have obtained two ERC grants, including the BOAR project.
The aim of the newly launched program starting in 2024 is to associate one CU researcher and one CNRS or affiliated to CNRS researcher (i.e. member of an UMR) around a joint research project. For this first edition of the CNRS-CU program, preference will be given to projects dedicated to the reconfiguration of Europe since the Russian invasion of Ukraine.
This collaboration will lead to the submission of a project proposal:
- in an ERC call (primarily)
- in other calls of the EU Framework Program for Research and Innovation (Horizon Europe)
- in other calls supporting excellent research of comparable significance, e. g. calls of the French Science Foundation (ANR).
ORGANIZATION AND EXPECTED OUTCOMES
One TANDEM team will be selected and will work for two years, starting in February 2024 and it will be based at CEFRES in Prague.
- the CU researcher of the TANDEM team will be appointed to CEFRES for 50% of his or her service with financial supported granted by CU (the maximum amount of support is 600 000 CZK / year)
- the CNRS researcher will benefit subsequently from a maximal support of 17 500 € / year for regular research stays at CEFRES financed by a CNRS mobility grant (soutien à la mobilité internationale, SMI)
- additional funding of a minimal amount of 2 500 € will be granted by CEFRES for the organization of one scientific event / year.
During the common research period the recipients:
- will organize one Czech-French and (Central-)European scientific event at the CEFRES per year (workshop, seminar, conference)
- will be expected to organize an open kick-off presenting their project in Prague (spring 2024)
- will be suggested to maintain regular scientific activity at CEFRES (reading group, seminars) throughout the duration of the project
- will be advised to participate in the common ERC pipeline launched by Charles University & the Czech Academy of Sciences
- will be offered the support of the Institute of Humanities & Social Sciences of the CNRS in developing European research applications.
The French partner needs to be eligible for a SMI – Soutien à la mobilité internationale of the CNRS:
- are eligible members of permanent staff (MCF – maître de conferences ; PR – professeur; CR – chargé/e de recherche ; DR – directeur/directrice de recherche ; IR – ingénieur(e) de recherche) of a research unit belonging to a section of the Institute for humanities and social sciences of the CNRS (InSHS) and for which the CNRS is the supervisor or co-supervisor:
- Mondes anciens et médiévaux (section 32)
- Mondes modernes et contemporains (section 33)
- Sciences du langage (section 34)
- Philosophie, littératures, arts (section 35)
- Sociologie et sciences du droit (section 36)
- Économie et gestion (section 37)
- Anthropologie et étude comparative des sociétés contemporaines (section 38)
- Espaces, territoires et sociétés (section 39)
- Politique, pouvoir, organisation (section 40)
Important: PhD candidates, postdoctoral fellows and members of university laboratories funded solely by the French Ministry of Higher Education and Research are not eligible (in particular: EA – équipes d’accueil).
The Czech partner is a full-time employee affiliated with one of the faculties or research centers of CU.
- French colleagues will fill the SMI model form available here and submit it in pdf format, entitled SMI_Name_CNRSsectionNumber.pdf to:
- CU colleagues will fill the model form available here and submit it in pdf format, entitled TANDEM_Name_Faculty_CU.pdf to:
It is highly recommended the applicants contact the program coordinators on the behalf of CU & CEFRES before submitting their proposal: an ad-hoc webinar to discuss both scientific and practical issues may be organized if needed.
The selection will be based on the potential of the team to submit a successful project proposal. Members of the selection committee are representatives of the CU, CEFRES, CNRS and AV ČR.
Project proposals in English must be completed and submitted within the stated deadline.
IMPORTANT: Information on the TANDEM program is published by CU for CU researchers and at the same time by the CEFRES (for CNRS researchers). The calls are identical and the procedure unique.
October 20, 2023: Opening of the call
November 20, 2023: 23:59 CET: Deadline for submissions
November 30, 2023: Selection of the team by the CU-CEFRES Committee
February 1, 2024: Launch of the selected project
Please send any inquiries related to your TANDEM application to the following coordinators:
- Mateusz Chmurski, Director of CEFRES: CEFRES may help CNRS (or CU) applicants to find potential CU (or CNRS) research partners, email@example.com: (+420) 224 921 400
- Ondřej Daniel, European centre, Department of science and research, CU rectorate, firstname.lastname@example.org, (+420) 608 862 034