Rise of a Merchant Nation: An Ethnography of Vietnamese Bazaar Economy in Central Europe
Research Area 1 – Displacements, “Dépaysements” and Discrepancies: People, Knowledge and Practice
As a third-year PhD student in Anthropology at Ehess and a Phd fellow at Cefres, I conduct a participant observation of Sapa marketplace, situated in the suburbs of Prague. My aim is to analyze traders’ ways of thinking, working and living in this market in an attempt to characterize its role and its importance to the Vietnamese migration in Central Eastern Europe. Therefore, my thesis studies the pathways of specific Vietnamese traders who came from North Vietnam in the 60s,70s and 80s, the rise of the merchant networks and the bazaar economy nowadays in Eurasia. In this sense, my research highlights the capacity of the bazaar economy (Geertz, 1979) to federate, considering several levels: countries, cities and urban territories.
2017: PhD student in Social Anthropology and Ethnology, School for Advanced Studies in the Social Sciences (EHESS)
Director of research: Sophie Wahnich
2015-2017: Master’s degree in Sciences humanities and social sciences, mention social sciences, Master’s thesis title : Conflits d’appropriation et de cohabitation dans les espaces publics du centre historique de Saint-Denis, Université Paris VIII Vincennes Saint-Denis
Director of research: Agnès Deboulet
2014-2016: Master’s degree in Administration (Field Management, organizations and environments)
Master’s thesis title: Tecendo redes: O organizar ampliado em uma favela através de da terapia integrativa comunitária, Center for Applied Social Sciences, Ceará State University, Brazil
Director of research: Ana Silvia Rocha Ipiranga
Master’s scholarship from Fundação cearense de apoio ao desenvolvimento científico e tecnológico (Cearense Foundation to Support Scientific and Technological Development)
2006-2011: Bachelor’s degree in Management, Federal University of Ceará (UFC)
Thesis director: Prof. José Carlos Lázaro
Communications & Publications
- Fernandes, Felipe Kaiser, Ipiranga, Ana Silvia, Organizing precarious spaces: An actor-network approach on favelas. In 32ème Colloquium EGOS (European Group for Organizational Studies) in Naples, 2016
- Fernandes, Felipe Kaiser, Ipiranga, Ana Silvia, Spatialities and organizing on favelas. Dans Workshop Organizations, Artifacts and Practices (OAP) in Lisbonne, 2016
- Fernandes, Felipe Kaiser, Bezerra, Mariana, Ipiranga, Ana Silvia. História da Escola de Administração do Ceará: Uma educação para o desenvolvimento?, In 3rd Congress of the Brazilian Society of Organization Studies (SBEO) in Vitória, Espírito Santo, Brazil, 2015.
- Moraes, Cynara ; Fernandes, Felipe Kaiser ; Stephany Filho, Luis. ; Silva, Vitória. A Influência Dos Professores Com Experiência Profissional Exterior Ao Magistério Superior Na Intenção Empreendedora De Estudantes De Administração, In 8th Congress of Franco-Brazilian Institute of Business Administration (IFBAE), in Gramado, Rio Grande do Sul, 2015.
- (Forthcoming paper) Bezerra, Mariana, Fernandes, Felipe Kaiser, Chaym, Carlos Dias, Ipiranga, Ana Silvia. History of Ceará Administration School: An education for development? In ReGeA – Journal of Management Analysis, Unichristus
- Stephany Filho, Luis, Silva, Vitória, Moraes, Cynara, Fernandes, Felipe Kaiser, Morales, Jose The influence of teachers with non-academic experience on entrepreneurial intent of administration students. Business Management Review (BMR), v.4, p.761, 2015
- Organization of International Colloquium Contradictions urbaines #1: recherches citoyennes, état des lieux et perspectives at l’ENSA (National School of Architecture Paris Val-de-Seine), 28 mars 2017
- Collective-research living environment of “la Rue de la République” (Republic Street) – Marseille, France. Workshop of collective research at Marseille : « Disparition et résistance de la ville populaire », coordinated by Khedidja Mamou and Agnès Deboulet (ENSA Montpellier, Paris 8) and the Un centre ville pour tous association from January 30th to february 5th, 2016
- International symposium of marketing and innovation: connecting Brazil and Canada for innovation, organized by Simon Fraser University, Beedie School of Business and the Center for Applied Social Sciences, Ceará State University, Brazil, 2-3 July, 2014
- 2017: Student Frech-egyptian Exchange program Research Campus France-Lavue (Laboratoire Architecture, Ville, Urbanisme, Environnement), directed by professor Agnès Deboulet and the Housing and Building National Research Center (HBRC).
- 2014–2016: Urban practices and aesthetics organization of cities. Funded research project by the Coordination for the Improvement of Higher Education Personnel, CAPES, Brazil.
- 2012–2015: Organizing practices in a scientific laboratory R&D of Northeast Biotechnology Network (Brazil). Scientific research project funded by CNPq (Brazilian Council for Scientific and Technological Development). CNPq is one of two Brazilian institutions equivalent to the CNRS.